Home    Events
CofELogo

St Andrew's, Carters Green
West Bromwich
An Ecumenical Partnership of
The Church of England and The Methodist Church

History of St Andrew's

MethodistLogo

History of St Andrew's

The history of St. Andrew's starts in 1869 with the creation of a Day School in Old Meeting Street, West Bromwich (opposite where the Akrill Cottage Homes now stand, although they were built much later). Soon the school buildings were used for Sunday worship. In 1879 Lichfield Diocese created the Parish of St. Andrew, West Bromwich. Worship continued on the site in Old Meeting Street until the 1920s.

In 1915 work started on a new church building at Carter's Green. The First World War prevented much work being done and the official foundation stone was not laid until 1922. The first part of the building was completed in 1924 and consecrated for worship the following year. Just before the Second World War two bays and a baptistry were completed and consecrated on Sunday 21st January 1940.

In 1979 plans were made to create a social area at the rear of the church, an extension being added to accommodate a kitchen and toilets. This work was completed in 1982 and then in 1998 part of the south aisle was divided off using sliding doors to create a coffee lounge alongside the kitchen.

Parish Registers

Genealogy researchers will be interested to know that St Andrew's retains the following records:

Registers of Baptism:

June 1910 onwards.

Registers of Marriage:

October 1919 onwards.

There have been no burials at Andrew's.

Registers from 1879 until the above dates, and all records for Christ Church, are held at:

Staffordshire Record Office
Eastgate Street
Stafford
ST16 2LZ

Tel: 01785 278373

www.staffordshire.gov.uk/archives/

For a gallery of historic photographs of St Andrew's - Click here

Swan Village Methodist Church and St Andrew's

Swan Village Methodist Church and St. Andrew's extended friendship to each other and sometimes shared in joint services for many years. When the Swan Village Methodist Church building became difficult to maintain the congregation, together with that at St. Andrew's, made the courageous decision to join together in the St. Andrew's building. The arrangement was further established in 1988 with a formal Sharing Agreement. By growing together funds from both churches were able to be used to build the extension including an upstairs room for meetings - the Cygnet Room.

Vicars of St Andrew's

1879 James Benjamin Crump

1895 William Charles Weston

1908 John Wannop Cornwell

1924 Harold Marley

1930 Charles Bloomfield Roach

1938 Kenneth George Symcox

1946 Desmond Stuart-Fox

1949 Harry Patrick Saunders

1952 Alan Gilbert Foster Barker

1960 Albert Francis Sargent

1979 Peter Hammersley

1988 Andrew J G Cooper

1992 Kenneth Wilkin

1998 Derek Arthur Smith

2003 Michael John Claridge

2017 Nigel Ely (Priest in Charge)

Christ Church, West Bromwich and St Andrew's

The formal title of the parish is "The Parish of St. Andrew's-with-Christ Church, West Bromwich". Christ Church, West Bromwich was a large imposing building on High Street. It's tower held a ring of twelve bells and, when the church was closed, these became to only ring of twelve bells in the country to fall out of use since ther 2nd World War. Before the church building was demolished the bells were removed and the metal used to cast specific bells for other churches in the Lichfield Diocese. In 1988 the parish of Christ Church was divided between the Anglican parishes of The Good Shepherd with St. John, St. Philip's and St. Andrew's. The site where Christ Church stood is within St. Andrew's parish boundary and hence the official name "The Parish of St. Andrew's-with-Christ Church".

The Parish of St Andrew's-with-Christ Church

The Parish of St. Andrew‘s-with-Christ Church covers an area with a population of some 9000 people. As well as residential areas there areas of industry and commerce. The High Street and main shopping areas of West Bromwich are within the parish.

Ecumenical Partnership

Over the last decade St Andrew's has been at the forefront of developing links between the Church of England and the Methodist Church locally. After many years of taking voluntary appointments on the Methodist Circuit's Preaching Plan the Vicar, The Revd Mike Claridge, suggested that his post be formally split. From 1st January 2015 his post has been half funded by the Church of England and half by the Methodist Church. He has taken on additional responsibilities with, in addition to St Andrew's, pastoral care of Ryders Green Methodist Church and a joint care of Wesley Church, West Bromwich. The Revd Phil Thomas, Superintendant Minister of The Black Country Circuit, is Associate Minister at St Andrew's and shares in the ministry of the parish.

This page is part of

.