Home    Events
CofELogo

St Andrew's, Carters Green
West Bromwich
An Ecumenical Partnership of
The Church of England and The Methodist Church

History Gallery

MethodistLogo

Left:

The roofline of the old St Andrew's Church (formerly a school room) in Old Meeting Street is visible beyond The Vicarage. The latter is still standing but is now privatly owned. A new Vicarage was built adjacent in the 1980s.

Below:

The First World War had a significant affect on the parish. Shortly after the war a temporary War Memorial (below left) was set up in the church behind a side altar. A splendid reredos was later added (below centre) with an inscription referring to "The Great War". This was moved to the present St Andrew's when the new building opened in teh 1920s (below right). It depicts: St George (Patron of England), St Andrew (Patron of the Parish), Jesus Christ, St Michael (Patron of a mission church that stood in Bull Lane) and St Chad (Patron of Lichfield Diocese).

Above:

In year's past St Andrew's had a fine choral tradition. The photograph above left shows the choir around 1936 and the one above right is from the 1950s.

Left:

Back in the 1930s, in addition to worship, the young men of the parish had their own football team. This photograph dates from around 1933.

The new St Andrew's, in Dudley Street, was started just before the First World War. However the foundations remained below ground level for the duration of the war. Building resumed in 1922 and the above foundation stones can still be seen at the Pearson Street end of the building.

The 1920s building was only two-thirds the length of the present structure. It was extended towards Dudley Street in 1939 and the foundation stone (left) can be seen at that end of the building.

This page is part of

.